A Program on your computer has corrupted your default search provider setting for Internet Explorer (IE 8) – Resolved

Most of the people those who upgraded to Internet Explorer 8 (IE 8) might run into the issue of seeing the error message on the start up of the IE saying “A Program on your computer has corrupted your default search provider setting“.  If it is an one time alert, then it might be fine.  But this would popup every time the internet explorer 8 is being opened.  It would be an frustrating experience to have this happen.

Here is the possible solution (or work around) until Microsoft fixes this issue.

Click here for Solution to fix the corrupted default search engine provider.  Even though it is a working solution, I would still like to warn you that use it at your own risk.

20 Comments

  • Imtiyaz says:

    SOLUTION:

    Make sure that you have taken Registry back before changing the value.
    1. Make sure IE 8 is closed then navigate to registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
    2. Add a new “Expandable String value” inside the above mentioned key with a value name of “AppData” and a value data of “%USERPROFILE%\Application Data”.
    3. If you find LocalAppData in User Shell Folder just delete it.
    4. Reopen IE 8 and see if you still get the error

  • BJ GRIFFIN says:

    I FOUND THIS CONDITION ON MY COMPUTOR WHEN STARTING IT UP ON APRIL 22ND..

    AFTER LOOKING AT IT ALL DAY I DECIDERED TO SHUT THE SYSTEM DOWN, AND STARTUP AGAIN..

    THE ENTIRE CONDITION WAS GONE AFTER THE RESTART..

  • Hans Breitbarth says:

    I solved this problem with a less articulate approach. I created a new user account. Verified that the problem did not exist for the new user, then copied documents and favorites to the new account and deleted the old one.

  • Steve Henderson says:

    I came across this problem last week and after much trial and error fixed it very simply.

    The problem here was that bing was set as the default search and could not be replaced, deleted, or modified in any way.

    Try this. Right click IE on the desktop and click run with no add-ons. Go to Manage Add-ons and now you should be able to reset the default search engine or delete. I deleted all and reinstalled my favorite search engines. All worked well.

  • Brian says:

    1. Start, Run, “GPEDIT.MSC”
    2. Expand Computer Configuration
    3. Expand Administrative Templates
    4. Expand Windows Components
    5. Expand Internet Explorer
    6. Find Restrict changing the default search provider in the Right Pane. (Right Click-Properties) turn it to Disable.

  • JoAnn says:

    OMG you’re a genius!! Thank you! That was so simple and it worked!!

  • KEN223 says:

    easiest fix is create a new user and then delete the old user after you have transfered all of your files to the new user name. I’ve tried this and it really works, there is no unistalling IE8 or messing with the reg!!!!

  • MW says:

    Steve Henderson – THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH!!! Your Post worked PERFECT for me event this long after you had already posted! THANK YOU!!

  • Paul says:

    Easiest solution for me was to use Firefox ….

  • Matt says:

    I could not find your terms of use to see if I could submit a comment.
    A previous fix for the problem was copying files, deleting the affected user profile and creating a new account. The registry was not edited, however. Now there are duplicate accounts and an unknown user profile in system properties. So much for that answer. I will try your recommended fix if there have been no changes since it was posted

    Thanks.
    Matt

  • nathan says:

    none of this has worked i just recently updated to explorer 9 and a program is corrupting my deafult provider

  • Dave says:

    The regedit worked for me on Vista x64. Had to reboot for change to work.

    Thanks!

  • Wyndi says:

    Steve Henderson…where have you been all my life??? OMG!!! Simplest resolution to something I’ve EVER known. Whether you believe in God or not…Bless You Anyway!!

  • Karen says:

    Same problem,Nothing works for me either

  • Abi says:

    Hi,
    Thank you for your valuable solution.I am now relieved from this problem completely.I just closed my IE and then modified in registery .I restarted my system & removed live search in “manage search providers”…..It works great…

  • Lew says:

    RE: Steve Henderson’s comment “1. Start, Run, “GPEDIT.MSC””
    all i get is windows cannot find GPEDIT.MSC etc etc.
    i am running xp

    Thanks

  • TiagoHB says:

    I have IE9 in Windows Server 2008 R2 and what worked for me was:
    Start Menu
    Control Panel
    Network and Internet
    Internet Options
    Advanced (tab)
    Reset… (you will lose some things, be sure to read the warning message that appears after clicking)

Leave a Reply

Pinterest
Email